The 160th Maryborough Highland Gathering holds a long and proud history, with gold-rush origins that date back over 150 years. Formed by Scottish prospectors and businessmen who wanted to organized an event to re-create their traditional New Year Highland celebrations in their adopted land.
This iconic event is Australia's oldest continuous sporting event.
• Street March at 11.00 a.m.
• Highland Pipe Bands and Brass Bands on display
• Max Martin Memorial 120 metre Maryborough Gift
• Sheaf Tossing for height and accuracy
• Highland Dancing (two Stands)
• Athletics - Men’s and Women’s events (70 metres to 1500 metres)
• Local and Inter State competitors
• Bookmakers on Athletics and Racing
• Massed Highland Dancers
• Girl on the Drum spectacular
• Massed Highland Bands
• Highland Games and Caber Tossing
• Sideshows and novelties
• Pipe and Brass Bands on oval renditions
• Strong Man events
• Most appropriately dressed male and female patrons with Scottish theme
• Sideshows Ample catering
• Evening concert and fireworks display
• Comprehensive Program - Lucky prizes
• Reasonable admission prices
• Picturesque venue