• Carman's Tunnel

Overview


Unfortunately Carman's Tunnel has temporarily closed. We apologize for any inconvenience.


Carman’s Tunnel in Maldon was commenced around 1882 by the Great International Quartz Mining Company, as an attempt to drive a tunnel right through Mt Tarrangower, intersecting the rich gold-bearing reefs that had been mined previously from shaft-type mines on the mount. Work was abandoned at the end of 1884 after progressing only around 600 metres. No gold bearing rock was cut, but the tunnel gives an excellent insight into the mining techniques of the 1880s. The tunnel was opened to the public in 1964 by the Maldon Progress Association and was operated today by a Committee of Management.

TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Parkins Reef Road Maldon Victoria
03 5471 1795
castlemainevic@mountalexander.vic.gov.au

Nearby