1. The Paul Guest Prize (the Prize) is a drawing prize and exhibition with a non-acquisitive cash prize of $15,000.
2. The Prize is conducted by Bendigo Art Gallery (the Gallery). The Prize is open to all Australian artists (citizens of Australia or residents for at least 12 months).
3. Works chosen for the exhibition will be pre-selected from digital images. Artists may enter a maximum of two works completed after 1 June 2021. All works submitted must be available for display.
4. The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. The judge will award a cash prize to the value of $15,000 for the winning work. The judge reserves the right not to select any work if works are not, in his/her opinion, of sufficient merit. The Gallery has the right to refuse to display any entry.
6. Entries must be received by Bendigo Art Gallery by 4pm Friday 20 May 2022. Entries received after this time will not be accepted. Entries must consist of no more than two digital images, curriculum vitae (two-page maximum), entry form and entry fee.
7. Entry fee is $45 per artist (regardless of one or two entries supplied). Entry fee is non-refundable and covers administration and handling. Any entry not accompanied by payment of entry fee will be ineligible.
8. Employees of Bendigo Art Gallery, City of Greater Bendigo employees, the organisers, and members of their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
9. Digital images should be less than two megabytes, saved as jpgs and saved with the following details as the file name: surname_first name_title.jpg (Example: whiteley_brett_lavenderbay.jpg). All images submitted must be of works executed since 1 June 2021. Slides, photographs, photocopied reproductions, emailed images or any other representation of the work will not be accepted.
10. Completed works should not exceed 2.0 metres (2000mm) in any given dimension (including frame). A work can consist of multiple parts but must not exceed overall size limits.
11. All artists will be notified of pre-selection outcome by close of business on Friday 10 June 2022. The Gallery will retain selected artists’ visual material until the close of the exhibition.
12. All works selected must be professionally prepared for hanging/ installation and must be marked clearly on the back with artist’s name, address, title of work with installation instructions included (if applicable). It is intended that the works selected will be shown in the exhibition at the Gallery. Should space prevent the display of work, the Gallery will advise the entrant.
13. The Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage suffered to any work in its possession or under its control and each entrant shall indemnify the Gallery against loss or damage suffered to his or her work. Works will not be insured by the Gallery. The Gallery will retain all packaging provided (where ever possible) and reuse to pack work(s) at the close of the exhibition.
14. The Gallery will not be responsible for the sale of works. Any enquiries regarding sale of work from the general public will be directed to the artist and/or dealer.
15. Works must be delivered during the week of 25 to 29 July 2022. Contact details for delivery and collection will be provided.
16. All entries selected for exhibition must be available for continuous display at the Gallery for the period of the exhibition, 6 August 2022 to 30 October 2022. Artists and/or their representatives cannot remove an artwork from display prior to Wednesday 2 November 2022.
17. Work(s) must be collected from the Gallery on 3 and 4 November and by prior arrangement (see 15).
18. Artists selected for exhibition will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media in the advertising and promotion of the exhibition. The Gallery reserves the right to reproduce the winning entry in relation to the Prize.
19. Freight of artwork. Artworks will not be accepted unless delivered and returned free of all freight and other charges. If an artist shall fail or omit to remove a work from the Gallery within one month of the close of the exhibition the Gallery, after sending a notice by post to the artist at the last known address of its intention to sell or otherwise dispose of such work, or in the event of no address being known to the Gallery, then one month after advertising such notice of intention in a newspaper, may sell such work. After deducting from the proceeds the cost of the incidental to the sale shall hold any balance for the artist. Provided however that in the event of such work being in the opinion of the Gallery unsaleable, then the Gallery may in lieu of selling the same, destroy or otherwise dispose in such a manner as it may deem fit; and thereafter the Gallery shall be under no liability whatever to the artist in respect of any work so destroyed or disposed of. All care will be taken, however the Gallery will not be responsible for any loss or damage, howsoever caused. Freight and insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
20. All personal information gathered by the Gallery will be used solely for the purpose of administering the Prize.
Download a copy of the Terms and Conditions for the Paul Guest Prize 2020.