First Nations Art
First Nations Art
The City of Greater Bendigo is located on the traditional lands of the Dja Dja Wurrung and the Taungurung Peoples of the Kulin Nation. They are the traditional custodians of this land.
In 2020, the City of Greater Bendigo appointed Janet Bromley, Arts Officer First Nations to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists living and working in Greater Bendigo, to connect artists to opportunities and to facilitate the representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art and culture in the region.
Wartaka is a Dja Dja Wurrung word for meeting with purpose.
The Wartaka group meets three times per year to:
- come together as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and yarn about art and the types of activities we would like to develop and showcase in the future
- ensure that art programs meet community expectations
- increased community participation and ensure community is represented in arts initiatives and to develop a designated art space
- support the development of a culturally safe place for all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Knuldoorong (everyone together) has been running since 1999 as part of Bendigo’s NAIDOC Week program presented by Anne Conway and Trina Dalton-Oogjes and the community. In 2016 Knuldoorong moved to Dudley House gallery space in View Street.
From 2020 the NAIDOC exhibition is now permanently embedded into Greater Bendigo’s annual arts and cultural program and will be curated by the Arts Officer First Nations. Knuldoorong presents an opportunity for local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People to show their art in Bendigo during NAIDOC Week. The art is diverse; from painting, ceramics, weaving, wall hangings to jewellery and more.
If you would like to get involved, please reach out.
The Creative Communities team compile a fortnightly arts e-bulletin with events and opportunities for our creative community. To subscribe email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also contact the Arts Officer First Nations directly for updates.
Email Janet at email@example.com or call 0400 746 379.
Click on the images below to scroll through some of our past projects:
- Knuldoorong 2021 (photography by Bill Conroy)